Looking for things to do in Orange County? Come out and enjoy the open space at Orchard Hills loop trail in Irvine. The trail loops around an avocado orchard on the edge of the open spaced field, providing amazing ridge-top views of Irvine and the Pacific coastline. The three-mile loop has some steep climbs with uneven terrain; however, the hike is done at a moderate pace. Your efforts will be rewarded with beautiful, unobstructed views to the west.
Here are some measures you will be asked to follow during the Covid-19 pandemic:
- Each adult must bring a signed liability waiver with them. Minors will be added to the waiver of their parents or guardians. The waiver can be accessed from their website.
- You must register in advance; no walk-up registration will be allowed.
- Ensure you bring all necessary equipment to keep you safe, including water, proper footwear, first aid, hand sanitizer, etc.
- Make sure you bring and wear a facial covering in all public areas. Maks and facial coverings are recommended during the hike.
- Remember to maintain 6ft of physical distance between yourself and other members of the group at all times.
- Restrooms will be available, but you must bring your own sanitation products.
Orchard Hills Trail Tips:
Come prepared! Hiking in the wilderness is very different from walking around the block or even in your own neighborhood park. The excitement from hiking beautiful trails is what draws people to love the outdoors. However, being prepared for unique challenges that may come up is key to having a positive experience. Here are some tips that will lead you to have fun and stay safe.
- Remember to drink water before, throughout, and after your hike.
- If you’re planning to hike on a demanding trail, carry a backpack or waist pouch that can accommodate the amount of water you’ll need.
- There isn’t a clothing rule, but you should wear comfortable and breathable clothing that will help you enjoy the hike.
- If you plan to embark on rocky or steep trails, it would be best to wear sturdy hiking shoes. For flat paved trails, good running shoes are recommended. Even for the most leisurely hikes, closed-toed athletic type shoes are best!
- Wear a light backpack or waist pack that will help you store the essentials like water, identification, and other stuff you may need.
- Make sure to pack your phone, identification, medications, and anything regarding any medical issues you may have just in case something were to happen.
- Bring a snack! Fruit, nutrient bars, or granola are great snacks that will help during a hike, especially if it’s longer than 3 hours.
- When looking for a hike, review the event description and the difficulty rating.
- Four or even six miles might not sound long, but unless you’ve traveled that distance before and are very confident, starting out with a shorter and slower activity might help make the trip more enjoyable.
Hiking With Kids
- When first starting out, travel short distances. Also, remember that the travel needs to be done at a child’s pace.
- Pack plenty of healthy snacks, water, and energy drinks. Be prepared to stop frequently to let the kids re-fuel. Happy bellies mean happy kids that will create a joyful experience.
Exercising and hiking is a great way to get out of the house during the ongoing pandemic. The Orchard Hills trail and others like it provide a variety of things to do in Orange County. Not only is it healthy, but it is a relatively safe activity because it’s easily accommodating for social distancing. Below are some details about the trail, including dates, times, and addresses.
Dates: 11/2/2020, 11/7/2020, 11/9/2020, 11/14/2020, 11/16/2020, 11/21/2020
Location: Orchard Hill
4727 Portola Pkwy. Irvine, CA 92620
Time: 8:00 AM to 10:30 AM
This blog is brought to you by Toyota of Orange, a highly ranked dealership amongst Tustin car dealerships.