Thanksgiving is just around the corner and the fall festivities are taking over southern California. If you are looking for Orange County events this November, the city of Irvine is having its annual Turkey Trot 5k this Thanksgiving. There’s no better way to work up an appetite for a Thanksgiving feast than to run a 5k. Officials will ensure your safety from COVID-19 throughout the duration of the race.
The race will be held at Irvine Valley College. There are 5 different events to choose from, each starting at a different time.
- OC Turkey Trot 5k ($35.00) – 8:00–10:00AM (Pacific Standard Time)
- 1 Mile Turkey Dash ($25.00) – 7:30–11:00 AM (Pacific Standard Time)
- Turkey Feast Combo 1 Mile + 5k ($50.00) – 7:30–11:00AM (Pacific Standard Time)
- Gobble Wobble Kids Dash ($25.00) – 9:00–11:00 AM (Pacific Standard Time)
- Virtual Run – Medal, shirt, and bib mailed ($25.00)
In light of COVID-19, there will be a few things done differently during Orange County events to ensure everyone’s safety. The start times for the races will all be staggered between 6:30 and 9:00 in the morning. Every 10 to 15 seconds, each group will be sent on the run at least 10 feet apart. A mask must be worn before and after the race but is not required during the race. To sign up for a slot time, click here.
You must start your race before 9:00 AM and finish your race by 9:50 AM in order to be considered in the Age Division standings. At 10:00 AM, winners will be announced over Zoom. There is the option to do a drive-by curbside pickup for your division reward or have the reward mailed to you by registering for an $8 mail fee. A selfie booth will be available at the finish line. The course is flat the whole way and stretched around campus and harvesting farmland.
The following items are included in the race:
- Custom Cast Medals
- Comfortable event T-shirts
- Trophies for the top 3 finishers
- Chip Timing by Its About Time
- Custom race bibs
- Division Awards for the top 3 male and females in each age division
Information for the races are below:
One Mile Turkey Dash
You must have a 1-mile bib (NOT a 5k bib). You may start any time between 6:30 and 9:00. Once the race is started, turn around at the ½ mile point, in order to reach one mile at the end. Look for the FUN DASH sign for the turnaround. You may choose to walk or run the race. No matter what place you get, you will receive a finisher’s award at the end. This race is great for people who run at a slower pace and want to stay with their pack.
Turkey Trot 5k
The race has staggered start times from 6:30 to 9:00. This race is open to all ages and the course will loop around the entirety of the college campus. The course will also pass by citrus grove trees and a few pumpkin patches. The race will start and finish in the parking lot in the southwest corner of campus. This race has trophies for the top 3 times and a variety of Age Division awards.
Gobble Wobble Kids
There is a 100 and 400-yard loop that is available for your kids to play and run on. Older kids who want to run 2 loops will reach up to 800 meters. You must run with your kids on this course.
Basic event info is below:
- Address: 5500 Irvine Center Drive, Irvine, CA, 92618
- The event is in the southwest parking lot of Irvine Valley College
- The link for slot time sign up is HERE.
- The only entrance to campus is off of Jeffrey, south of Irvine Dr, and north of Barranca. Park on the left ($5 per vehicle).
- Race staging will be held to the right of Manassero Farms
- Pick up your bib and shirt the day before at Roadrunner Sports or at the race start area on Thanksgiving Day
We look forward to seeing you on Thanksgiving Day! This blog is sponsored by Irvine car dealerships.