Ah, Newport Beach. A destination known for the most majestic beaches in all of southern California. Incorporated on September 1, 1906, it is difficult to find something that isn’t to love about this city. Even if you have lived in Newport Beach your whole life and experienced its one-of-a-kind Orange County events, we bet there is something that you don’t know about it. Check out this list of facts and secrets about Newport Beach right here!
- Although not officially incorporated until 1906, Newport Beach was named by Captain Dunnells in 1870.
- This stunning seaside city enjoys a fruitful population of 86,688.
- Newport Beach’s iconic beach is 5 miles long.
- Newport Harbor is one of the largest boat harbors in the United States and the largest on the west coast.
- Back in the early 1800s, land in Newport Beach was being sold for $1 an acre! If only inflation wasn’t a thing.
- Back in the 1920s, the swimsuit scene was a pretty big deal at Newport Beach. You could even rent one over there!
- The first recorded surfboard came from Newport Beach. Duke Kahanamoku, the father of surfboarding, used it all the way back in 1928 in Corona del Mar.
- Speaking of Corona del Mar, it is home to one of the 20 most expensive zip codes in the United States. Psst..it’s 92625, in case you were curious.
- The famous Christmas Boat Parade has been an annual tradition for more than 100 years, first taking place in 1908.
- Another well-known event is the Newport Beach Jazz Festival, which took place during the first weekend of June this year after a years-long hiatus.
- The Newport Pier is a grand total of 1,032 feet. The original was destroyed in a hurricane and re-built in 1940. It is registered as California Historical Landmark number 794.
- Fashion Island has more than 150 luxury stores and restaurants for visitors to enjoy.
- Famous residents of the past and present include Kobe Bryant, Jim Abbott, John Wayne, and Dean Koonz.
- Many historical celebrities have owned yachts in Newport Beach, including Dick Powell, Errol Flynn, Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, John Wayne, Mae West, and America’s sweetheart Shirley Temple.
- Dave Kunst, the man known to have spent four years walking around the world (yes, walking), is from the Newport Beach community of Balboa Island.
- Balboa Island became part of Newport Beach in 1916.
- The last time it snowed in Corona del Mar was in January 1949. We’re surprised it even happened at all!
July is undoubtedly a fantastic time of the year to catch up on some of the most fantabulous Orange County events – but the fun doesn’t stop when the summer is over! Be sure to keep in the loop with OC Helper to discover more happenings in Newport Beach as well as all over Orange County, CA! Until next time, we’d love to see some of our readers check out all of the fun activities and breathtaking scenery the city has to offer. Hope to see you there soon!
This blog is brought to you by Toyota of Orange, one of Newport Beach’s favorite dealers near Tustin auto center.